Surf quotes have always been an integral part of surf culture. What surfers say and how they say it give the past time a personality and provide it with an attitude. Words said by great surfing legends have been inspiring, and the stupid-silly things you say in the water with your friends can make a session.
All in all, surf quotes can describe the indescribable experience of surfing and can provide meaning that can be tangible to all – surfers and non-surfers alike.
We present 23 of the Greatest Surf Quotes just for you.
1. “Wiping out is an underappreciated skill.” Laird Hamilton
2. “I don’t wanna be a star. Have my picture in magazines, have a bunch of kids looking up to me. I’m a drunk, Bear, a screw up. I just surf cause its good to go out and ride with your friends.” Matt Johnson
3. “What I love the most about surfing is that it’s my first love. It’s the first thing I can remember being consumed by.” Stephanie Gilmore
4. “I try changing my surfing, which is the absolute worst thing you can do. Everyone surfs their own way. If I try to surf like someone else I look like a dork.” Andy Irons
7. “It’s not tragic to die doing something you love.” Mark Foo
8. “Eddie would go.” Mark Foo
9. “I surf to get tan.” Shane Dorian
10. “Courage doesn’t mean you don’t get afraid. Courage means you don’t let fear stop you.” Bethany Hamilton
11. “It’s all about where your mind’s at” Kelly Slater
12. “Surfing is very much like making love. It always feels good, no matter how many times you’ve done it” Paul Strauch
13. “First of all, I’d like to say, and the ASP are going to fine me, ‘cuz I don’t want to be a part of this dumb fucking wannabe tennis tour. All these pro surfers want to be tennis players.” Bobby Martinez
14. “Go big, or go home.” Johnny Tsunami
15. “There are so many different elements to surfing. Small waves, big waves, long boards, short boards. This makes it a sport you can share with people. It’s not just a solitary thing – it’s become a family thing, too. It’s about exercising and passing something on from father to son, and from mother to daughter.” Kelly Slater
16. “Aw brah it’s just like…dude you get the best barrels ever dude. You just like you pull in and you just get spit right out of ‘em. You just drop in and just smack the lip – WAPAHH! Drop down, sand bahhhhhh. And then after that, you just drop in and ride the barrel and get pitted, sooo pitted like that" Fox 11 Surfer Dude
17. “I took off on a wave, went down the side, popped out the other end, and went, shit, I’m still alive!” Greg Noll
18. “Surfing’s the source. Can change your life. Swear to god.” Bodhi, Point Break
19. “If you’re having a bad day, catch a wave.” Frosty Hesson
20. “There are no more committed people on the planet than surfers. We fall down a lot. We turn around, paddle back out, and do it over and over again. Unlike anything else in life, the stoke of surfing is so high that the failures quickly fade from memory.” Gary Sirota
21. “Do what you want, do it well, or, if you don’t want to do it well, don’t do it well, just do it how you do it, and that shit shines through a thousand times brighter” Dane’s ‘Sampler’ vimeo caption
22. “When you’re itching for the waves, the only lotion is the ocean.” Uncle Tito
23. “The best surfer out there is the one having the most fun.” Unknown / Arlie Parker (My 9th Grade English Teacher)